April 06, 2006

The Nature Challenge.

Rarely do I post anything in here that is wholly another's work; even with poems, I try at least to give some context or commentary. As of late, though, time is short, and though I don't have a great deal of it right now, I wanted to post something I found recently that immediately struck me as valuable and worth sharing.

"The widely respected Canadian ecologist Dr. David Suzuki has worked out a list of ten simple ways people in the developed world can sharply reduce their impact on the Earth, and he challenges people to adopt at least three of the ten steps. Over eleven-thousand people have taken up the Nature Challenge so far. Below is his list of suggested actions:

1. Reduce home energy use by 10 percent.
2. Choose an energy-efficient home and appliances.
3. Replace dangerous pesticides with alternatives.
4. Eat meat-free meals one day a week.
5. Buy locally grown and produced food.
6. Choose a fuel-efficient vehicle.
7. Walk, bike, carpool, or take transit instead of driving.
8. Choose a home close to work or school.
9. Support car-free alternatives.
10. Learn more and share with others.
"

- John Michael Greer, The Druidry Handbook


This is an excerpt from a book on Druidry, which is a path I have been seriously considering for the past few months. I will probably write more about this transformation from witch to druid in a later post... I think, in many ways, it is the natural progression that my journey must take--from poet, to witch, to druid; from bard, to seer, to priestess.... Does this mean I will give up on witchcraft in my pursuit of the Druid priesthood? Of course not, just as I did not give up poetry when I began practicing the Craft. Th Craft, like poetry, serves me well as a skill and a framework for my spiritual evolution... However, I have begun to feel restricted in the notion of "witch" lately, and Druidry calls to me as if I were born to it, in a way that witchcraft, although a reasonable approach to spiritual praxis, never did.

Like I said, I'll write more about this in my next post. For now, consider trying out one or two things from the above list, and see just how much you are really willing to change for the sake of the Earth we all adore.

1 Comments:

At 13.4.06, Blogger Jeff said...

You might be interested in our upcoming conference No Other Gods: A Conference on Cults, the Occult and World Religions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home